Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Zorn Palette Challenge 8x10

Another great challenge on DPW.  This time it was to finish a painting using only the very limited palette of Swedish legend Anders Zorn.  He primarily used only Yellow Ochre, Black, a red, and Titanium White.  I have heard of other artists using very limited palettes like this one but it is not for me.  I thought I would miss my Viridian Green the most but it turns out I needed my two blues the most for making a range of greens.  I was still very surprised at just how green of a color you can get from mixing blacks with Yellow Ochre.
 Here is a shot of my usual rainbow palette above the three colors I used for this painting.
This was the rough in sketch showing the toned background of Yellow Ochre I started with.
 
(SOLD)

No comments: